Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Cruise #6: In Which I am Shocked by Seeing Tatoos and Drinking on the High Seas

Not a lot of pictures on this cruise. It was another 5-day, hitting Cozumel and Grand Cayman. The five-days are a much younger demographic, and the crowds tend to react to the shows much more boisterously. This crowd was heavily inked up and ready to party.

I did get to go snorkeling again, this time in Grand Cayman. We had a rehearsal in the afternoon, so I didn't get to spend a whole lot of time there, but I grabbed my snorkel gear and wandered off into town to see what I could find. I walked about five minutes down the road and found a little dive shop. I ducked in and it turned out there were two reefs directly behind the place, about a ten minute swim. I rented a locker and swam out to Devil's Gorge, this time armed with a waterproof disposable camera. I only swam for about an hour, but wound up amid a huge school of brightly colored fish. If I can find a one-hour photo place, I'll post pics at the end of the next nine-day cruise.

All the shows went really well. We've got the adult show down, with a great starting game, "Battle Rap", courtesy of Montelione. It's nice and energetic, and is also a fun way to probe the audiences limits so we can understand their comfort zone. I met another really fun bunch of folks, including a professional livestock auctioneer and a really cool marine biologist from Philly. All in all, a good cruise.

Sunset through the clouds over the Caribbean


Kayaking in Miami; or "Traffic has made us retarded"

There was some bad news, however. I had my follow up with the doctor on Friday, the day we got back into town. Unfortunately, it looks like the bones in my wrist healed at an angle, so they're going to have to re-break it and set it properly. I find it a little flabbergasting that you could ever have a moment in your life where you find yourself saying "I guess the medically appropriate thing to do here is to pay a man to break my wrist." I suppose I'll just have to trust that Doctor's Rocco and Vincenzo know what they're doing. It looks like I can pick when I want them to do it, though, so I'm going to aim for having it done the last Friday I'm in Miami. That way I'll get to play around in the Caribbean for almost the whole time, and the cast will wind up coming off shortly after I get back to LA.

Hi ho.