Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"Winter in Chicago", or "Isaac Newton is a Horrible Jerkbag"

I got into Chicago on Sunday. It's a beautiful tribute to the joys of winter. White snow, apple-cheeked women, and steaming cups of black coffee. It also broke my wrist.

In what has to be the 350,654th worst thing ever to happen at Wrigley Field, I slipped on a patch of ice walking past the stadium to pick up some coffee for the morning. I didn't get the coffee, but there really is nothing like a broken bone to keep you awake when you're feeling tired. I get a cast put on tomorrow morning, but, on the upside, the rest of the group will have someone to look after their stuff when they go snorkeling for the next several weeks.

Admittedly, the trip hasn't been all ice and marrow shrapnel. Rehearsals began on the mainstage at Second City yesterday afternoon.

Nice View. A shot from the mainstage.

This is where Yakov Smirnov didn't start out.

First up was improv fundamentals with Mick Napier, founder of the Annoyance Theater. To quote TS Elliot, this rocked. Today it was in on the sketches. We ran through almost everything, which included two musical numbers and a dance number. I also picked up a Vicodin prescription. This had nothing to do with the dance number.

I'll be late to work tomorrow because I have to pay a man to dig in my skin and put a cast on. The good news is that everyone in Second City and the cast has been unbelievably cool, concerned and helpful about my oh-so-coordinated injury. They will remain this way all the way up until they have to help me get my luggage onto the plane to Miami.

Mt. St. Compton

Just two more days of rehearsal, then it's onto the boat. I'm hoping I can make it there with my remaining limbs intact